Thursday, August 22, 2019

All of Which I Saw by Lucian Read

I remember when I watched Blackhawk Down, I was sitting in the theater and I couldn't stop my legs from moving up and down.  I could feel my heart beat rising throughout the movie.  I told my wife afterwards, "I feel like I was there."  There was such adrenaline surging through me as I was watching the movie.

All of Which I Saw by Lucian Read...I had the same reaction as I had that day I watched Blackhawk Down.

The pictures and his journal captured the essence of the brutality and devastation of the Iraq War, not only for the men and women of the Marine units he was embedded with but also the Iraqi people.

As a photographer myself, I was especially drawn to this book and wondered how Lucian would capture the war.  All I can say is "wow" his pictures to me captured what war is like, the horror, pain, grief, sadness, boredom, humor and devastation of it all.

One of my favorite pictures is the picture of all the 156 Marines and Sailors standing in the skeleton remains of a hotel that they fought for.  

Lucian's recollection of the events and his feelings really tied the pictures together; he was brutally honest and reflective of his time with the Marines.  Especially his "controversial" pictures at Haditha.

This is a great book and it's a book that I want my kids to see. For them to understand the sacrifices that men and women made for our country.

No comments :

Post a Comment