Friday, June 26, 2015

Searching For Sunday by Rachel Held Evans

Having been a Christian and churchgoer for a better part of my life, the title of the book intrigued me. Why, because I believe as a believer, finding a church is one of the most difficult things, actually finding an church that's authentic and in touch with the imperfect nature of humans is hard to find.




I love the journey that Rachel went on in her search of finding the church.  Most of what she said really resonated with me, how the church shouldn't be a place where everything is in place, nice and neat with a smile every Sunday, but it's a place where's it's messy, people are free to come as they are before God and to experieince God's grace, healing, redemption and joy.

It's refreshing for me to hear her journey and struggles, which I can resonate with as I too have and am going through the same struggle.

This should be required reading in Seminary, not everyone has to agree with what Rachel wrote but pastors and potential leaders of the church should understand what people are looking and seeking in the Church.  In fact, I have recommended this book to my pastors for them to read.

No comments :

Post a Comment